Basic Features of GATE 2016 – Important Dates, General Information on Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2016.
Basic Features of GATE 2016 – Important Dates, General Info
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science.
Basic Features of GATE 2016
1. Examinations for all the 23 papers will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions shall be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type.
2. Biometric information (Photograph and Fingerprints) for randomly selected candidates may be captured before the start of the examination.
3. GATE 2016 examinations will be held during forenoon and afternoon sessions on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) between 30th January 2016 and 7th February 2016. Examination for some of the papers in GATE 2016 will be held in multiple sessions. Exact details regarding complete examination schedule will be notified at a later date.
4. For GATE 2016 the entire process of filling up of application form, uploading of certificates/documents etc., will be online and the candidates should not send any hard copy of their application form/documents etc., to IISc or any of the IIT’s zonal GATE office.
5. The payment of application fees would be through electronic mode online as well as through payment at bank counters using e-challan.
6. The admit cards for GATE 2016 would be available through the online process only. Candidates can download their admit card from GATE 2016 website. No printed copy of admit cards will be posted to the candidates.
3.1 General Information on GATE 2016
1. Application Process: For GATE 2016, all information related to the candidates will be available in a single GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Candidates have to register and fill the application via ONLINE mode ONLY. The photograph and signature of the applicant must be uploaded during the online application. Please note that all necessary certificates, such as, degree certificate/certificate from the Principal and the category certificate, if any are also to be uploaded. Please note that no application form is available for sale anywhere.
2. Downloadable Admit Card: Admit cards will ONLY be downloadable from the GOAPS website tentatively from 17th December 2015. The candidate has to bring a printed copy of the admit card to the test centre along with at least one original and valid photo identification. The only permitted photo identifications are: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, College ID, Employee identification card, or a notarized affidavit which contains the candidate’s Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. The details of this ID proof have to be given while filling the online application.
3. Numerical Answer Type Questions: The question paper for GATE 2016 will consist of questions of both multiple-choice type and numerical answer type. For multiple choice type questions, candidates have to choose the answer from the given choices. For numerical answer type questions, candidates have to enter a number as the answer using a virtual keypad.
3.2 Important Dates Related to GATE 2016
Table 3.1: Important dates related to GATE 2016
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||Tuesday||1st September 2015(00:00 Hrs)|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application through Website||Thursday||1st October 2015(23:59 Hrs)|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of City||Friday||20th November 2015|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online Application Interface for printing||Thursday||17th December 2015|
|GATE 2016 Online Examination Forenoon: 9.00 AM to 12.00 NoonAfternoon: 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM||Saturday and Sunday||30th and 31st January, and 6th and 7th February, 2016|
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||Saturday||19th March 2016(17:00 Hrs)|